Sunday, June 04, 2006

Seth Godin does not like converstaions

Seth Godin posted "How to get traffic to your blog" yesterday and for the first time turned on the comments option. Then as fast as it went on, he turned it off. He explains his rationale here.

I saw Seth's list of 53 ways to build your blog traffic and did not even look to see if the comments option was on. He had set the tone a long time ago for not accepting comments from readers.

Joseph Jafee has taken a big issue with Seth's "no comments rule"(not to mention his take on Squidoo). I must say I agree with Joseph's opinion on this.

The reason given by Seth is, for myself at least, kind of lame and insulting. He says the following:
"First, I feel compelled to clarify or to answer every objection or to point out every flaw in reasoning. Second, it takes way too much of my time to even think about them, never mind curate them. And finally, and most important for you, it permanently changes the way I write. Instead of writing for everyone, I find myself writing in anticipation of the commenters."

Huh? Aside from insinuating that those who leave comments are more flawed than himself, he just might spend too much time thinking about what others are saying as a result of his thinking. Does Seth refrain from talking with people who have comments on his work? For his own sake, I hope he does not read this!

Seth, you are still a huge hero of mine. But, now I've seen you without your mask on. At least you did not lie about why you don't like comments... or did you?

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that Godin doesn't want to publish comments is up to him. But I thought he was a big proponent of the 'conversation'. Isn't that what Web 2.0 is about? At the very least, he's created at lot of discussion...

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Michael Seaton said...

I agree. It is fully his decison to allow comments or not.

The problem I have is his post explaining why he does not allow them. It just sounded as if he was talking down to readers of his blog. Call it superior, elitist or whatever.

For myself, it would have been better if he said nothing and just turned the comments feature off again.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home