Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Toronto dinner mob was a hit

It was something alright. They even had to bring in a few extra chairs to accommodate the crowd. For marketers reading this post, the conversion ratio for this event is without a doubt Cannes '07 material.

Last evening worked out to be quite an enjoyable impromptu event. A fun gathering of interesting people (on a moments notice I may add) yielding lots of great conversations. Some new people and some familiar faces - a great mix representing advertising & marketing, public relations, agencies, client-siders, industry experts and even an angel investor. Somehow there just did not seem to be enough time to chat with everyone. So, we will have to do it again sometime soon!

I hope all those who attended had as good a time as I did. Thanks to Michael L., Leesa B., Terry F., Ed L., Scott K., Luca D., Andrew G., Stuart M., Kathryn L., Jay A., Goody G., Mona S. Sulemaan A., Parth S., ( I hope I did not miss anyone - I feel like I am missing one person - I will amend this post if I have). UPDATE: Laurie Dillion was sitting right across from me the whole night - sorry for the omission!)

And, hats off to Mitch Joel of Twist Image for the spur of the moment idea. My role was very easy in securing a location in the nick of time to help make it all happen. (Full disclosure, we work together as client / agency on behalf of Scotiabank.)

One last point. I am usually quite adept at thinking up names for things. Quirky funny little things, like "This one time, at BarCamp" (btw t-shirt sample here - update here). I often have an interesting (yet useless) ability to tap into the smart-ass side of myself that thinks I can write copy (blame it on reading too many MAD Magazine's "Snappy answers to Stupid Questions" in my youth). Yet, I am stumped. We promised Ed Lee we would not call them geek dinners anymore and but, all I came up with is "dinner mob".

Any suggestions for a better name? Leesa has tagged it the "un-geek" dinner. That may be a little too close to home still.

8 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael:

Sounds like a grand ol' time. Any chance pictures are going up on Flickr or on someone's blogs?

I'd love to see some photos of all of the Canadian podcasters I enjoy listening to, including yourself (nice job on Inside PR this week!).

--Bryan Person
Blog: Bryper.com
Podcast: NewCommRoad.com

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Michael Seaton said...

Ed Lee may have some pictures over on his blog. He remebered to bring a camera out.

Thanks for the comment on my Inside PR co-host gig. Terry made the whole thing fun and easy. I had the chance to meet him face-to-face last night at the dinner, it was a blast.

I suppose it was not enough notice for you to hop on a Greyhound!

Keep up the great work on your blog and podcast.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pictures will go up later today (not many good ones though...)

as for alternative names - marketing munchies or social media suppers sprang to mind

Ed

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Michael Seaton said...

Right, I forgot your choices for names. Those are great ones too.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Michael Seaton said...

Thanks for coming out Michael.

Digerati has a nice ring to it.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Digerati Dinner - I like it.

If this gets traction, a Linkedin group could be on the horizon.

Good food + good company = Great evening.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michael. What a great night it was. Thanks to you and the Mitch man for pulling us together for our little conversations caucus. It was a blast...

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible night. Incredible people. Incredible conversation. We're going to have a hard time topping a night like that - though I have no doubt we can do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home